Re: Topband: Verticals on the beach

To: Kenny Silverman <kenny.k2kw@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Verticals on the beach
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 21:59:46 -0600
Kenny,

It’s not easy and in fact I haven’t done it for anything lower than 40m.  It
would be very interesting to compare something at the water’s edge to what I
have now.  The shoreline runs SW-NE - I think about 215-35.   The question is
how much better it would be if the antenna were right next to the water.  I
don’t have a clue as to whether it would be significantly better or not.  Of
course I’m talking about Europe.

If you drew a straight line 45 degrees from the tower it would not be over
water until you went 15 miles, yet I’m robably over water in less than 100 feet
if you go about 25 degrees from the antenna.

 I cannot imagine that I have no significant improvement to 45 degrees because
a straight line to 45 degrees does not go over water for many miles but I don’t
have the knowledge to prove it.  I would bet, however, that it would be very
difficult to match the signal to locations 45 degrees with a single element
located a quarter mile SE of where my tower is located.

Maybe someone has some idea of just how much better my signal would be if I had
a 160m vertical 65 feet closer to the water?  If I were convinced it would be
significantly better it would be a safe bet that I would find a way to
accomplish it - at least for on-site 160m DX Contest operations.

73…Stan, ZF9CW