Re: Topband: [RFI] Powerline noise question

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [RFI] Powerline noise question
From: John Kaufmann via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 02:34:16 +0000 (UTC)
The WD8DSB mini-flag truly is a fantastic RFI-hunting tool.  When I saw the
original article in QST, I recognized immediately that this was a great
"invention" by WD8DSB.  Like many of you, I deal with quite a bit of man-made
RFI on 160m, so I bought one of the very first ones sold by DX Engineering.  Of
course, it's not hard to build your own from the QST article.  The antenna is
very broadband and works from the medium wave bands up to at least 50 MHz.
Having a unidirectional pattern with a sharp null off the back is a huge
advantage over conventional bidirectional DF loops.  You can narrow down
direction of signal arrival unambiguously to within a few degrees.
As W3LPL says, it is a very low gain antenna that does need a very good preamp
behind it.  You need a preamp with not only a lot of gain but also a very good
noise figure because ultimately the sensitivity for hunting weak signals is
limited by noise.  I have the companion preamp that DX Engineering sells for
this antenna.  Its noise figure is about 4 to 5 dB, which is quite good for a
reasonably priced, battery-powered preamp that you can carry around with you.
By way of comparison, I also have a homebrew high gain (35 dB) preamp, made
with MMIC's, with a noise figure of 2 dB, which is very close to the best you
can do for HF.  However, most of the time I use the DX Engineering preamp
because it is good enough for all but the weakest signals.
Bottom line is that the WD8DSB mini-flag and a portable receiver are all you
need for tracking down noise sources.  As one more auxiliary tool, I sometimes
use the tinySA Ultra (an improved version of the original tinySA hand-portable
spectrum analyzer) to look at the spectral signature of a suspected source in
the field to confirm it's the same source that I'm seeing at my station.  See
tinysa.org/wiki/ for more information.
Disclaimers:  I have no affiliation or commercial interest in DX Engineering or
the tinySA product.
73, John W1FV