Re: Topband: 1940 kHz intermod from WRRU and WKDM

To: donroden@hiwaay.net
Subject: Re: Topband: 1940 kHz intermod from WRRU and WKDM
From: James V Redding PE via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 16:00:30 -0500
Broadcasters are permitted:

(b) Emissions 10.2 kHz to 20 kHz removed from the carrier must be
attenuated at least 25 dB below the unmodulated carrier level, emissions 20
kHz to 30 kHz removed from the carrier must be attenuated at least 35 dB
below the unmodulated carrier level, emissions 30 kHz to 60 kHz removed
from the carrier must be attenuated at least [5 + 1 dB/kHz] below the
unmodulated carrier level, and emissions between 60 kHz and 75 kHz of the
carrier frequency must be attenuated at least 65 dB below the unmodulated
carrier level. Emissions removed by more than 75 kHz must be attenuated at
least 43 + 10 Log (Power in Watts) or 80 dB below the unmodulated carrier
level, whichever is the lesser attenuation, except for transmitters having
power less than 158 Watts, where the attenuation must be at least 65 dB
below carrier level.

Here is what the NRSC RF Mask “looks like” in an amplitude versus frequency
graph:

[image: frequency from carrier 1]

The typical amateur receiver will hear "something" at -120 dbv.

The graph is in "WATTS"

I think the "curly fry" fluorescents and older plasma TV's caused worse
interference

JIm Redding

wa9vez (61 years)