Re: Topband: spot

To: STEVE MCDONALD <ve7sl@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: spot
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 07:50:51 -0800
I used to live near Granada Hills - not near an ocean.

I guess he could have a remote station somewhere - but again, 1:30 PM in
SoCal is a no go.  I can't imagine where someone would have a big rhombic
near an ocean in SoCal with much of an advantage towards Europe.

Reminds me of a story - back when W6RW was active on the band.  This is
probably around 1975 or so.  The Southern California DX Club used to have
quite a bit of activity on 2 meter FM - perhaps a repeater, I forget.

Someone started bootlegging European calls around noon local time and W6RW
was buying it.  He had a lot of fun talking about this rare opening at
noon.  I think eventually, he was convinced someone was pulling his chain
and he stopped.

Tree N6TR