Phylli

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Phylli
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 18:19:08 -0400

>Hey Steve,if I use the large size phyllistrand do I have to use their
>connectors?  I thought you could use cable clamps with the new stuff.  I
>want to run about 30' of phylli and then connect to 1/4 guy to go to the
>anchors.  I want to use in on my short tower that will have a 2 el quad on
it.

Gary --

      When Phillystran introduced the new jacket material a couple of years
ago, they didn't have any Phillystran grips so they okayed using cable
clamps.  Unfortunately there was deformation of the strands and cold flow
problems caused by the cable clamps.  Now Phillystran Big Grips are available
and they are the ONLY termination device approved by the factory.  Always do
what the manufacturer specifies.

>New subject.  95 foot tower guyed at 30, 60 foot levels.  How much guy
>tension should I read at each level, roughly??????73  Gary, WB4FLB

     Guy wire tension should be 10% of the tensile strength.  3/16 inch EHS
is 3990 pounds tensile strength and should be guyed at 400 pounds.  1/4 inch
EHS is 6650 and tension should be 665 pounds.  The best, easiest and cheapest
way to measure guy wire tension is with a LOOS guywire tensioner.  It'll
measure 3/16 to 9/32 sizes - perfect for hams - and is only $39.00 from Tower
Tech.

73,  Steve   K7LXC