Phylli

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Phylli
From: rbodine@cp.duluth.mn.us (Dick Bodine)
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 23:43:54 -0500
barry wrote:
clip....
> I performed a little experiment. I put the Loos tension gauge on my
> Philly guy and noted the reading. I then put it on the 3/16 EHS tail
> (about 15 ft long) on the same guy, and the reading was just about the
> same. Since the two are in series, the tensions are equal.
> My theory is that on a relatively tight guy (mine was about 350 lbs,
> using the Loos chart), the difference in deformation is minmal. If the
> tension was very low, and the guy was swiging in the breeze, then one
> might expect a greater difference in the readings.
>
> > LOUDER is gooder....
> >

> Is this what happens to one's English after moving to WVA? (sri, couldn't
> resist)
>
> --
> Barry N. Kutner, W2UP       Internet: barry@w2up.wells.com
> Newtown, PA                 Packet Radio: W2UP @ WB3JOE.#EPA.PA.USA.NA
>                             Packet Cluster: W2UP >WB2R (FRC)
When I worked in a metrology lab we calibrated cable tensiometers that
are used to measure aircraft surface control cables, buy suspending
known weights to equate to 25, 50, 75, 95% of full scale, from a like
piece of cable approximately (if my memory serves me right) four feet
long.  I would think that one could duplicate this procedure using EHS
and then Phyllistran and come up with some empirical data to verify if
in fact the Loos tensiometer readings are repeatable and are within the
manufacturers accuracies.

Good luck, Dick
--
Dick Bodine             Amateur Radio Call:  WJ0M
Duluth, MN 55804        mailto:rbodine@computerpro.com