Yaesu Rotors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Yaesu Rotors
From: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (Don Moman)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 15:13:36 -0600 (MDT)
The KLM log is rated at 12 sq ft and weighs 100 lbs (7.2-10-30version).

A friend here locally had a similar problem with his G1000 rotor on a
Sommer beam( quite large, has coverage from 7 to 30 mhz) and it failed
very soon in its' career. Well within the wind spec too, but possibly not
within the "flywheel" spec. Why bother to specify a wind area when it's
such a vague spec anyway?  Anyway it was full of parts that rattled -
gear parts not ball bearings.  He replaced it with a Emotator (not sure
of the number) and it has behaved fine since.

I never seem to hear much about the old Wilson 1000's.....I have one
turning a 3el 40m at 145' (40' boom, weighs over 300 lbs) and it handles
it effortlessly, even in high winds. I had it turning a 4-30 Sabre log
that weighs 1300lbs and it turned it fine but it was only a temporary
situation until I built my own unit (worm drive, etc). The problem there
was the log kept turning and would often go another 90 deg or more before
stopping and I hated to drop the brake on it at full steam like that. But
I did a few times w/no problems but that's too much like gambling. And
-40C weather has no slowing effect either. Wish I had a barn full of
them....

73 Don

VE6JY is Don Moman               email: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Box 127 Lamont, Alberta