Climbable mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Climbable mast
From: zettel@homer.libby.org (Steve Zettel)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 19:31:07 -0600
Steve and Jim, et al:

I recently looked into such a mast as you proposed (funny how great minds
think in the same paths), basically, ALL of the parts could be obtained
from Rohn, the Satellite Top Dish Kit would hold a 3" OD mast in place in
an inverted Rohn 25G section. But, I also flew this idea by Tom T. and he
basically said he'd tried something very similar and it was the scariest
"mast" he'd ever put up. Write him for more details. His basic advice was
VERY sound: any set up such as this should be thoroughly examined by a
professional engineer. After studying this on paper, doing some very rough
wind load calcs (a LOT of surface area on the 25G section(s))., and most
telling for me, PRICING out all the parts necessary, I came to the
conclusion that galvanized CrMoly mast was much more cost effective and
much safer.

For what it's worth,

Steve Zettel  KJ7CH                              kj7ch@libby.org