Log Periodics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Log Periodics
From: laurao@vcn.com (Laura Ostrem)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 21:40:15 -0600
>At 01:49 PM 10/5/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>What is the pro and con for a log periodic yagi?  Does anyone have
>>experience with the Hy-Gain LP-1009 or Cushcraft ASL2010?
>>
>>WA9ZPL
>>

>>Stuart Oserman
>>
>>--
Stuart,

I have been using a Cushcraft ASL2010 for about a year now.  It is at 135
feet on Rohn 25G, using a TX2 rotor.  I'm feeding it with 300 feet of 1/2
inch heliax.

I'm very happy with it.  It took two days to but the thing together but it
was worth it.  Take your time inventorying parts, and label the tubing with
magic marker.  Don't over tighten things.

Front to back is good, side to side is excellent, gain must be good because
I'm breaking pileups very quickly.

I'm bought it for its broad frequency response.  I wanted a station that
could do quick band changes with out tuning, so I use this antenna and a
solid state amp.

The swr creeps almost 2 to 1 at 14.003, which bothers me a little (anyone
else have this problem?)  I may have the ant mounted too high, as I'm a
little bothered by some apparent high angle lobes, which allows stateside
signals to be a little loud.  This is confirmed by ELNEC.  I've been
considering getting another ASL2010 and phasing them,  but that would be a
project for down the road.(Yes the phasing scheme would be interesting!)

I've had people tell me a Log-Per is a big dummy load, but I beg to differ.

                                73

                                Jay WC7M in Wyoming