Followup - Noalox at Home Depot

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Followup - Noalox at Home Depot
From: rattmann@cts.com (rattmann)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:10:26 -0800

>Several people wrote to me describing Noalox as a greenish substance that
>contained no conductive component -- that it was merely a chemically
>neutral grease. They explained that this material wasn't suitable for
>antennas since it didn't improve the conductivity of the joint.

Hi Bill,
I've used No-Al-Ox for about 25 years on various yagis here and around the
world, with good results.  I've lost plenty of contests in my day, but none
was due to my use of this stuff.  It works great.

The "conductive component" argument is bogus.  The function of the material
is not conductivity per se, but rather it is to enhance existing
conductivity between the two aluminum pieces.  It does this by excluding
oxygen from the joint, preventing formation of new aluminum oxide, AFTER YOU
"SCRATCH THROUGH" the original oxide while the pieces are coated with the
stuff.  You do that with a small stainless-steel wire brush.  If it's an
element joint, add a stainless hose clamp ( I don't use any of the antenna
manufacturers' custom clamps... they use "their" clamps because of price
only) and, most important, a single, stainless, self-tapping screw an inch
or so behind the hose clamp.  Drill the hole, then coat the screw liberally
with No-Al-Ox before running it in.  The SS screw will ensure years of good
conductivity between the two aluminum pieces.

A bonus, of course, is that many, many years later you will be able to
disassemble the joint easily because the presence of the No-Al-Ox minimizes
mechanical oxidation effects between the two pieces, and acts as a lubricant.

For those who are hung up on the "conductive component" argument, consider
something next time you hear N6ND working his share....  Rick puts his
antenna joints together using whatever he has on hand, sometimes No-Al-Ox...
but usually just wheel bearing grease from the garage.

73, Glenn K6NA