Power line - noise?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Power line - noise?
From: fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com (Tony Brock-Fisher)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:40:58 -0500
First, I don't think you can really compare notes on this subject.
I expect you will receive a wide variation of responses.

I live right under a couple of 115KV distribution lines. I mean right
under them - they pass over a corner of my 1 acre lot, and the power
company has an easement to clear the brush on my land.

As for noise, I've had my share of problems, but for the most part,
I'm actually surprised at how quiet my location is. I had one problem
with a 115KV switch at the substation itself across the street, which
couldn't be fixed until a second set of 115kV feeders was installed - a
3 year project, which fortunately was being done anyway. Most other
noise problems I've had in the 12 years I've been at this location
have been 13KV pole insulators - right in front of my house.

As for the effect of the power lines on antenna performance, I can
only give you a mixed answer. I tried to model the effect of 40 foot
high power lines 85 feet from my tower - and only demonstrated very
minor perturbations on the patterns. On the other hand, I have
noticed tremendous performance differences of my antennas with
increasing height - more than you might expect.

I think your noise situation would depend on the quality of your
power company - which is almost certainly different from mine.

One last note - if the wires are supported on metal, not wood, towers -
RUN, don't walk, away from the deal. Metal towers corrode and turn into
1000 diodes, each rasping and radiating away...

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com