Mast Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Mast Strength
From: abowen@nettally.com (Bowen, Arlan)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 09:38:38 -0500
I am erecting a quad antenna at the top of a Rohn 45, tilt over tower. To
clear the top guy wires, I need to extend the  mast some 6-7 feet above the
top of the tower. The mast I intended to use is a Rohn M200, which is 2"
outside diameter with a 16 ga. wall (.065). It appears to be mechical steel
tubing, low carbon, electric welded (seam visible inside). According to the
specification books at hand, it would be either hot rolled or cold rolled,
but since it is galvanized, there is no way of even guessing. This is tubing
designed for mast service, not conduit or pipe.

Question: Is this mast adequate for 6 sq feet (35#) of antenna, 7 ft above
the thrust bearing? Location is north Florida, Wakulla cty, about 15 miles
from the Gulf of Mexico.

INK N4OO   abowen@nettally.com