ELECTRIC WINCH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: ELECTRIC WINCH
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:07:34 -0800
WR34SHE@shellus.com wrote:

> FROM: SAM EFFINGER  K9SD
> SUBJECT: ELECTRIC WINCH
> I am looking for an electric winch to use in raising and lowering antennas.
>
> While this seems simple it isn't. I can't find one that is commercially
> available which will do what I need.
>
> The parts are available from Granger to build one but I am
> hoping someone will have some experience with this sort of thing.
>
> Putting a motor on a hand winch isn't a simple job and I have been getting a
> real education regarding this.
>
> Note: while looking in the Grainger catalog I see Grainger part no. 1L570
> which is a HDR-300 gear box with a 115vac motor...3000 in.lbs of torque..
>
> Now this might solve a lot of rotation problems but you would have 115vac
> on the tower...look it up and tell me what u think..I may be wrong..
>
>                   K9SD
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

Try a boating store like BOAT US or E & B Marine or West Marine.  These
stores have LOTS of electric winches and I suspect they will have one
for your tower application.  I know, for example, that HiGain uses a
marine winch on their HG-52SS..They refered me to the manufacturer for a
replacement for mine, and the manufacturer referred me to West Marine!
(Not an electric winch, but nevertheless).

73!

Bill, N3RR