Hy gain antenna query.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Hy gain antenna query.
From: ke5fi@wt.net (C. Logan Dietz (KE5FI))
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:33:49 -0800
Melvin G. Brafford wrote:

> Next week I hope to get my first 105BA 5 element 10 meter beam up to 92' on
> my WELL GUYED rohn 25G. My plan is to put another 105BA at the 62' level
> and a third one at 32'. The one on top will be rotatible , but the other
> two will have to be fixed for now. I plan to use a Dunestar stacking box to
> feed the three ants, and run various combinations of stacking. The land
> where this tower is sitting slopes steeply down to the NE and E, Making the
> top ant seem about 150', so with this in mind I had planned to fix ant
> 2..the one at 62' at 90
> (due East) degrees to pick up Africa and ant 3 the one at 32' NE or 45
> degrees to maximize Europe. I realize my big money run route will be
> Europe, so should I fix both antennas on EU, And use the Upper ant alone
> for Africa then stack all three for europe?
> Further, on tower #1 which is about 120' NW of the 92 footer, I am using a
> TH7 at 77', which is a band opener to the WEST. Also on this tower is
> another 105BAS at 38' fixed on the Carib. When the band is open this ant is
> hot, but in off years the TH7 beats it.My path to JA is unknown from this
> QTH, as it is new, post sunspots, ...hi....,but you can see forever in that
> direction from the tower.
>  Wonder if I should stack another 105 on tower #1 fixed on JA at about 47'.
> then with a dunestar on that tower, I could stack the TH7 with it, and also
> stack the TH7 with the Carib/ South antenna when needed in that direction.

I have used stacks for years.  I fix one lower ant on Eu and another at
JA with 5 foot spacing between them.  You could then select them with a
switch/relay before the dunestar.

That way you could have a 3 beam stack on Eu or JA when you need it and
mix them up at other times.  No ring rotors needed!

Good luck in the 10 meter contest!

Chuck, KE5FI