Tower Ratings - Stupid Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower Ratings - Stupid Question
From: ke1fo@contesting.com (Alfred J. Frugoli)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 17:31:56 +0000
Bill Coleman AA4LR wrote:

> >The tower is heavy duty model, rated @ 30 sf / 50 mph  (I know, I know,
> >the wind blows harder than that!!!)
>
> This raises an interesting question. If the lowest wind in the TIA
> standards is 70 mph, why do tower manufacturers specify tower capacity in
> terms of 50 mph wind?

And US Tower sent me away to a PE to find out what the rating would be
at increased wind speed, they do not even have those numbers.

> Also, for crank-up units, shouldn't there be different ratings for the
> extended and nested positions?

I would think so.  As before, the answer to this question according to
US Tower is to go to a PE.  I would think that these are common
questions for them.
--
Al, KE1FO, ex. KE6BER    mailto:ke1fo@contesting.com or ke6ber@tiac.net
Check out my web page, http://www.tiac.net/users/ke6ber for summaries