Tower Ratings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower Ratings
From: jmellis@ihug.co.nz (Martin Ellis)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 20:27:24 +1300
K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
> In the case of crankups, if at all only the bottom section should be
> guyed (unless specified by the factory).  The problem is that
> addition force from the guy wire tension will have to be supported
> by the crankup cables.

Hi Steve,
I am wanting to place a three section crankup tower on an existing
concrete base.  The base is about 3'x3'x4', but the tower specs call
for 3'x3'x6'.  Could I make up for the smaller size of the base
by installing guywires on the bottom section (about 20' above ground).
If not, I would have to dig a 6' hole alongside the existing base.

On the question of guying the upper sections:
It is usually forbidden to climb crankup towers. To overcome this
some people recommend inserting wooden chocks of 4x3 or 4x4 in the
overlap areas, and lower the winch enough to take some of the pressure
off the cable.
If this was done, perhaps it would be possible to put light guys on
the upper section, but the limitation would seem to be the
compression on the legs of the upper sections?

Regards,
Martin ZL1ANJ