PRO-67-C vs. C-4XL/D

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: PRO-67-C vs. C-4XL/D
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:13:00 -0500 (EST)

>Thanks for all the great input from my previous post about the PRO-67-C /
>TX-455 / G-800SDX combo. Everybody said to go with the heavier HDX-555
>tower and a heavier rotor, so I am. Also a few of you suggested that I
>would be disappointed with the PRO-67-C and should check out the Force 12
>C-4XL. So I'm having prices and specs sent to me. I would like to bounce a
>couple of questions at this group as part of my research.
>1) Are the gain and f/b specs "really" that much better for a trap beam?
>2) Is the C-4XL "really" that much better at rx and tx ( 97% efficient )?
>Any other comments good and bad are welcomed. Again thanks for all the
>help!

Hi, John --

     Thank goodness you decided against the Mosley; their lack of gain and
F/B are the big problems.

     As far as the "specs", you really can't use them for any meaningful
comparison.  Each manufacturer uses a different rationale for their gain
figures; some are measured while others are calculated. Can you believe that
some manufacturers actually have falsely inflated their gain figures?  Pretty
shocking, eh?   I would make my decision based on input from users and people
who are intimately familiar with the antennas. TowerTalk is the primary
source of that info.

     There is a lot to be said for a trapless antenna.  Because of the well
documented problems with traps, their lossiness and compromises, a full-sized
antenna has to be an improvement.  While the jury is still out on the Force
12 antennas, I feel that they will be recognized as competent reliable
antennas over time.

    BTW, it's my feeling that the reason that Mosley owners "like" them is
because 1) they paid a lot of money for the antenna, therefore it must work
(the Bob Heil theory) and 2) they don't have any reference antenna to compare
it to.  The classic high performance tribanders are the TH7DX and the KT34XA.
 If you're interested in a paper that I have written that compares and
recommends several competitive antenna scenarios called "Building A One Tower
Station", send an SASE to TOWER TECH, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072 for a
free copy.

73,  Steve   K7LXC