[TowerTalk] Installing Coax Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Installing Coax Connectors
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:06:38 -0600
At 08:14 AM 3/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>The recent thread regarding weatherproofing coax connectors is an interesting
>one...
>
>What is the best method of installing a coax connector on RG11 or RG8?  In my
>radio career, I've probably experienced more failures from improper
>installation of connectors than any other single flaw.  And even some of my
>friends who are *tm* engineers seem to have trouble installing these pesky
>devices.
>
>Reply direct, I'll summarize responses in a few days....
>
>73 - Phil, N6ZZ

I cheat!  I take a drill and drill out the solder holes.  I then take a
small file and file around the holes.  I then cut about 1 and 1/2 inches
back from the end of the coax, all the way through to the center conductor.
I pull off the whole works.  Now I just have center conductor poking out  I
them carefully take about another 1/2 to 5/8 inch to expose the braid.  Now
I use a finger nail clip amd make sure that there is an eight of an inch of
center dialectric exposed past the braid.  In other words, I cut the braid
back with the finger nail clip.  I then screw on the connector.  I then use
a hat pin (a large needle) and slip it under the braid in the enlarged holes
snd bring the braid up to the surface of the connector.  Sometimes I have
even raised the braid through the holes.  Solder quickly and use a wet rag
to cool.  I hate doing this because this could cause cold joints, but I
would rather hit two or three out of four than melt the center conductor. I
also use solder paster or flux.  Radio Shack as little tins of it and comes
in handy.  Make sure your soldering gun's tip is clean and well tinned.
Tighten up the screws on the tip connection too.  You want to get real hot
real quick.  Make sure the tip is properly tinned.  Close all four holes
with solder and you should have braid up in all four holes.  Finish with the
center conductor...quickly.  I found that cutting off the excess before
solder speeds up the process because you don't have to heat up the excess.
I then clean the tip using a little sandpaper, steel wool, a knife, or in
case of field day my pants.    Always check for shorts.  I always attach a
dummy load at the end and fire it up with a 100 watts.

Interesting reading about this on the reflector.

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net