[TowerTalk] Aluminum Hardline w/o jacket

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Hardline w/o jacket
From: jay@dunestar.com (Jay Terleski)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:24:54 -0500
I think this one deserves a winner of the Al hardline question award.  I
thought of buying hose and doing the same thing but Steve's answer is
even better.  Thanks Steve!

Jay, WX0B

Steve Vinson wrote:

> Scott Detloff, K8DX wrote:
> >
> > At 08:24 AM 4/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Heres on for the experts here,
> > >
> > >I am intending to use some AL 1/2 inch hardline.  The problem is that it
> > >doesn't have a jacket.  Just bare Al.  I suspect that it would be bad
> > >form to thread this up the tower against the galvanized steel.  What
> > >solutions have any of you found to work around this problem.
> > >
> > >Jay, WX0B
> >
> Hi Jay,
>
> It appears that you have and realize that you have 75 ohm CATV
> hardline.  It will work well with certain modifications.
>
> I have a very good friend who showed me a neat trick to installing CATV
> or commercial 50 ohm hardline.  If you use hose clamps you run the risk
> of crushing the outer jacket.  That can alter the resistance of the
> hardline and drive up the SWR.  He uses PVC water pipe and cuts it in 3"
> to 4" pieces.  You can then slit one side of the pipe and slip it over
> the hardline.  You may want to slit it all the way thru (both sides)
> prior to cutting in 3" to 4" pieces.  This makes it easier to install
> and/or it fits odd size hardline easier.  You can then either attach
> with hose clamps or other fasteners to the tower.  This protects the
> cable from mismatched metals, or from creating noisy connections when
> corrosion occurs between the hardline and tower.  It protects the
> hardline from damage, it makes a better grip, and it's CHEAP!!!  Lots of
> luck.
>                                              Steve
>                                              KD4WIW
>
> --

 |                     |  Jay Terleski                                 |
 |         /\          |  Director Sales, Central Region               |
 |  /\ /  \   \        |  Summit Design, Inc.      Phn:(972) 203 2008  |
 | /  \    \   \       |  350 Gloria Rd.           FAX:(972) 203 8811  |
 | SUMMIT DESIGN-TSSI  |  Sunnyvale, TX 75182      Email:jayt@sd.com   |