[TowerTalk] tower height

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower height
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 08:23:01 -0500 (CDT)
>What is considered optimum height above ground for a tribander?  I know it
>is affected by surrounding terrain, but assuming flat level surroundings,
>and that the antenna will see the ground as ground, and not some rooftop,
>whats the best height?
>Dave McPhie  K7SX    [doing alright with a 50 ft tower, but always dreaming]

I have thought about this alot and I think that the
beat all around height for 20-10m is around 70-60 ft.

I say this because it is about a wavelength on 20m, 1 1/2 on 15m
and 2 wavelengths on 10m.

This works out pretty well - esp. if you take into account
the take off angles - and that by and large the agnle lowers
as you go up in frequency.   So I think this range of heights
gives you a pattern that covers a wide range of angles on
each band and seems to work for DX and stateside qsos.

Your 50 foot high antenna is on the lower end of this range
and the only real improvement might be to your 20m signals.
I think that often people how only have one antenna on a
band(s) put that antenna too high for all around use
and then wonder why their neighbor at 50 ft beats them out.
At 50 feet you are at about 1 1/2 wavelengths on 10m and
is quite a good height for that band.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.            "I'm on a mexican radio"