[TowerTalk] 10m yagi separation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 10m yagi separation
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:54:04 -0700
Rich L. Boyd wrote:

> W4AN bringing up 10M yagis has me asking this question:
>
> How far apart should a second (low, backup) 10M yagi be from the high
> one, horizontal separation between the towers?  Antenna one is at 160'.
> Antenna two will be on a very low tower (for close-in stuff, Caribbean
> and U.S. and for those times the DX propagation is very high angle).  I'm
> wondering if 150' or so is enough horizontal distance between the two
> towers or if I should try for more.
>
> 73 - Rich Boyd, KE3Q
>
> --

10 wavelengths is considered the point at which interaction is
negligible.

Related:  Remember, for those who have not lived through sunspots
before, on 10 meters, as is often the case when the sunspots are active,
very low antennas will work the best over long paths as well as short
ones.  Low meaning 20 - 30 feet above ground.  You need both high and
low antennas on 10 meters, and don't "fix" them.  You will need to
rotate them and switch between the high and low ones to find out which
works best at any given moment.  "you never know"

73!
Bill, N3RR