[TowerTalk] US Towers and others

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Towers and others
From: k1er@gte.net (John D. Peters)
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 08:23:39 -0700
Alfred J. Frugoli wrote:

> Scott Bullock wrote:
> >
> > Hi all, just a quick note of warning to anyone looking to install any model
> > US Tower or others.
> > I called them several days ago to receive specs/diagrams, I paid by credit
> > card and they sent me copies of the diagrams-without an original engineering
> > stamp(was copied)-also someone had fudged the expiration date on the stamp
> > by hand from 1995 to 1999. I queried them on this today after the local
> > inspector refused to accept them, and they said that's what they use on
> > everything!
> >
> > If any manufacturers towers' were ever to fall over, could they possibly be
> > held liable for it with improper engineering certification?
> >
> > Others may have problems with this-just a forewarning to all, double-check
> > what you get before you submit it.
>
> Or happens when you recieve such documents and the building inspector
> issues a permit, and the installation passes inspection.
>
> This is the situation I had.  I got the drawings from US Tower, and
> passed them on to the building inspector in my town.  Within two days I
> had a building permit in the mail.  Furthermore, once I notified the
> building inspector that work had been completed, there is no evidence
> that the tower was inspected (someone is at the station qth almost
> continuously), but I recieved a document saying that the tower passed
> inspection.
> --
> Al, KE1FO, ex. KE6BER    mailto:ke1fo@contesting.com or ke6ber@tiac.net
> Check out my web page, http://www.tiac.net/users/ke6ber for summaries
> from the contest reflector and a growing list of amateur radio links.
>
> --

What the Inspector chooses to look at, and in what detail, is at HIS
discretion.  I suspect he drove by several times, perhaps looked in the
hole for the base, perhaps looked at the rebar, and looked at the tower
laying in the yard.  Knows the company mixing the readymix, and saw that
the job was done.

I would not draw any conclusions based on you not seeing him.

73 John K1ER