[TowerTalk] 45vs.55G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 45vs.55G
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 23:06:14 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-03 22:40:05 EDT, K7SX@worldnet.att.net (David
McPhie) writes:

> Folks,  what does putting up 100 feet of 55G, as opposed to 45G accomplish.
>   I expect the 55G is stronger and stiffer, but for amateur purposes,
>  wouldnt both towers have to be guyed about the same way?   I would like to
>  understand the benefits of 55G.  Im sure there are some.

     You need the Rohn book; five bucks from TOWER TECH.

     For a 100 foot tower at 90 MPH, the 45G is rated at 21.5 sq.ft. and the
55G is 24 sq.ft.  (These figures have the 8.0 sq.ft. of commercial mount
added back in to the total load figure.)   Different configurations and wind
speeds will have different results.

     The 55G has thicker leg material (11 gauge vs. 14 gauge) as well as
wider legs - 1.50" OD vs. 1.25" OD.

73,  Steve K7LXC