[TowerTalk] Concord Follow-up:

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concord Follow-up:
From: Spinosa@sirius.com (by way of wa2moe <wa2moe@doitnow.com>)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:21:25 -0700
Hi All,

Well I've had a couple of days to ponder my predicament.

Sure is a fine mess I've gotten myself into.  (Actually, in
my defense, the city has really put me here, in this
position)

XYL's are a true blessing.  I'm fortunate to have an
extremely bright and objective one.

Here's where we stand and where we could go:

It would seem that a legal battle would be the only way to
get the city to allow my antenna installation.  Yes, all
avenues of local appeal must be exhausted before the matter
gets to court, but from my point of view the matter would
be entirely out of my hands and in the hands of counsel.
This means that I'd be paying (rightly so) counsel fees
whether we are arguing in front of the Planning Commission,
the City Council, or the 9th District Federal Court of
Appeals.  The cost is the same (well, perhaps slightly more
for the 9th District:-).

There is also a time factor.  I've been at it for over 6
months, and I've gotten nowhere.  I think it would be safe
to say that legal resolution could easily take that much
more time.  If the matter goes all the way to the 9th
District to reach resolution, I'm sure years would elapse.

I think there is a better alternative:  Leave Town.

I'm talking early retirement here!  This was mentioned to
me at the beginning.  Naturally, I dismissed any such
suggestions as coming from some drastically crazed amateur
radio fanatic.  I mean, who would really consider selling
the house and moving the family, all in the name of amateur
radio, all for a decent tower?

Maybe I've gone nuts too, but now, that doesn't seem like
such a crazy idea!

The XYL objectively pointed out that the time frames and
costs between a legal pissing match and simply moving to a
more friendly neighborhood might be very comparable!

So it's come to this:  Stay, fight, and give the money to
the lawyers (no offense... Bless all of you), or start
planning a move.  Take the money and start shopping for a
hunk of pristine Douglas Fir up in the Sierra Foothills.

Either way it's gonna be expensive.  Either way it's gonna
take a couple/few years.

So, all those to whom I told to take a flying leap when
they suggested moving 6 months ago, I humbly apologize.

That would seem to be our present course of action.

Anyone know of a good 20 acre parcel in the Sierra
Foothills?

As always, I would be more than happy to correspond
privately with any of you.

However, I anticipate that barring any unusual turn of
events, this will be my final "Public" message.

Thank you all.

Best Regards,
Joe Spinosa
KF6CWX