[TowerTalk] Guys & Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guys & Towers
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 08:49:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, T. A. Russell wrote:
>      Several years ago, the myth that uninsulated conductive guys
> >     would affect the beam pattern was dispelled in a QST article.

> Be careful of overextending limited results.
> MANY  cases of guy wire interaction have been cited on the reflectors
> and in the literature.

K4VX is a very good friend of mine (the author of the article).  However,
common sense and experience tells me that his computer models might have
been either over simplified or the computer couldn't handle the model
correctly.  I wonder what you experts thought of this article?

I used unbroken guys on the bottom set of my 15M stack.  The SWR on the
lower antenna was different (higher) than on the upper antenna.  When I
switched this guy out for phyllistran last fall the lower antenna exactly
tracked the top one's SWR curve.  You can't convince me that unbroken
guys are a good thing.  But you can't convince me that broken guys are
either.  The only thing I trust for non-interaction is Phyllistran.  I've
heard stories about broken guys affecting antennas adversely also.  From
guys that knew what they were doing.

73

Bill, W4AN