[TowerTalk] Guys & Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guys & Towers
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 20:26:24 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-05 18:58:24 EDT, w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher -
W4AN) writes:

> I used unbroken guys on the bottom set of my 15M stack.  The SWR on the
>  lower antenna was different (higher) than on the upper antenna.  When I
>  switched this guy out for phyllistran last fall the lower antenna exactly
>  tracked the top one's SWR curve.  You can't convince me that unbroken
>  guys are a good thing.  But you can't convince me that broken guys are
>  either.  The only thing I trust for non-interaction is Phyllistran.  I've
>  heard stories about broken guys affecting antennas adversely also.  From
>  guys that knew what they were doing.

    My anecdotal experience is the same. I've had performance problems with
antennas looking through insulated steel guys and wonderful performance from
a stack looking into Phillystran.

     Many letters and articles over the years have been written about SWR
problems with steel guys (watching the SWR change as you rotate a keyed
antenna through a 360 degree rotation). There's got to be something to it.

73,  Steve  K7LXC