[TowerTalk] Soliciting Yagi comments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Soliciting Yagi comments
From: ftbrady@cosmoslink.net (Frank T. Brady)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:25:53 -0700
Friends:

In my search for an antenna for the new QTH, I've put QUADS aside while I
study what's available in the YAGI world.  From what I've heard on the air,
the only manufacturers I'm considering are KLM, FORCE 12, HYGAIN,CUSHCRAFT,
and MOSLEY.

My goal is to put up the best 40m + 20m yagi that my LM470 will carry
without pushing it (I don't really want to go over 15 square feet wind load
-since that's the max for the fully extended tower).  I want whatever
compromise is necessary to be on the 40m rather than 20m performance.

Cost aside, the FORCE 12 Magnum 520/340Z or 620/340 seems to offer the best
combination of performance, weight, wind load, durability, and ease of assembly.

Unfortunately, I'm suffering from doubts that an expensive newcomer like
Force 12 can be that much better than an established outfit like Mosley -
especially since Mosely claims higher max gains.  The "net gain" method
Force 12 uses may actually be more conservative than the other manufacturers
if I understand this "74 foot high dipole reference" busines, but I'm still
dubious.

If I could get as much input as I did from my solicitation for quad
comments, this decision would sure be a lot easier.

Thanks for being there!

Frank - W0ECS