[TowerTalk] Source for Radial Wire?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Source for Radial Wire?
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 01:39:06 +0900
"Dick Green". wrote:

> Hi. I need a good source for radial wire for a 40M 4-square that I'm
> building.
>
> I need about a mile (5,000 feet) of suitable 18 gauge wire. In the past,
> I've used uninsulated tinned wire (I'm open to alternate suggestions here.)
> I also need a few hundred feet of heavier gauge wire for bus bars.
>
> Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
>
> 73, Dick, WC1M
>
> --Hi Dick.  I have a three element phased array on 40 here, also a 160
meter inverted L, and I use galvanized electric fence wire.  Not sure on
the prices any more, but it was around 15.00 for a half mile I think.
Mine has been out for about 12 years, and it is just now starting to show
some corrosion around the base of the antennas.  I have a lot of copper
wire that I have scrounged. One real good source for wire I've found is
garage sales.  I have bought half rolls of copper wire for a dollar or
less.  Also some electrical houses will give you scrap wire for salvage
prices.  I got a sheath of wire from my work place that had 35 number
14 wires in it, 130 feet long for nothing.  Just to haul it off.  So with
a little ingenuity you can come up with some pretty good deals.

73
Tom W7WHY