[TowerTalk] Tower lighting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower lighting
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:08:13 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-12 13:52:17 EDT, wl7e@oly.silverlink.net (Joe)
writes:

> I only want to go 120'. It sounds like
>  overkill to me but what the heck. My question to the reflector
>  is: does anyone know some of these manufacturers and the costs associated
>  with this? The lighting part of it is new to me.

     I think what you need are OB (obstruction) lights. Normally you don't
need a blinking beacon until you get to 200 feet. You can call CESCO
(800-642-7698); talk to Jay Kent and tell him I sent you. They've got
reasonable prices.

     Having a beacon light plus painting the tower is much more cost and
hassle. Just having OB lights is lots easier.

>I would appreciate any and
>  all information from the guys. This is the first step (the FAA). Now I
have
>  to go to the state aviation agency for permission. Then to the county. I
>  know the state and county will give me permission as I have already talked
>  to them. In my CCR's it doesn't say I can't put a tower up and have talked
>  to a few of the other home owners so I should be ok. I hope to be ready
for
>  the fall contest season with all this.

     Yes, this is basically a paperwork excercise.

     Sounds like you'd better be sure to get a building permit to keep your
neighbors at bay.

73 and GL,  Steve  K7LXC