[TowerTalk] WB0W gin-pole, need help

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] WB0W gin-pole, need help
From: k1ttt@berkshire.net (David Robbins)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 10:57:25 +0000
K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>     I prefer to have the pulley roosterhead pointed mostly down the tower
> where the section will be hoisted and slightly towards the tower. This offers
i prefer to have it about 90 degrees from pointing straight out from the
tower.
but this is using a rohn gin pole, it may be easier at other angles
depending
on how much of the pulley is exposed on yours.

> the least friction for hoisting. When the rope is pulled through the pulley
> at an angle, it increases the friction and difficulty. If your ginpole and
> tower section are rigged correctly, there should be enough slack to try 2
> different leg orientations for fit.

this is one thing that shouldn't be necessary.  before hoisting any
section
i always fit the sections together in the order they will be stacked on
the
ground first.  i have found this to save countless hours in the sir
trying
to fit together slightly different or bent ends.  this is especially
important
if the sections are pre-owned, but even new ones can get dinged in
transport
and not fit perfectly.  what i do is pick the first section and lay it
next to
the tower.  then take the second section and fit it to the top of that
one.
after any adjustment take them apart and keeping the leg orientation the
same
lay the second one next to the first one.  i then repeat the process for
all
the other sections so i end up with a nice row of sections that i know
all fit
together one specific way.  if i always put the ginpole on the leg that
was
on top, and always tie the rope to the top leg in the row of pre-fit
towe there
is never a question that they will slide together easily in the air.(as
long as
you are careful and don't bang the ends when you lift them up!)  if you
don't
have room to lay them all out you can do this one at a time, just fit
the next
section to the top of the one you are lifting before it goes up, just
remember
to keep the leg orientation consistant.

--
David Robbins K1TTT (ex KY1H)