[TowerTalk] Anti-Lightning devices

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anti-Lightning devices
From: k9fd@htc.net (Merv Schweigert)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:23:45 -0500
>> According to Polyphaser they don't work. Why were you so convinced.
>>
>>  73 Steve W8GAZ
>
>>  Just saw the Wireman's talk at hamfest Jacksonville about using spikey
>>  devices to dissapate lightning before it happens.  Very convincing.  I
>>  intend to install some on my towers asap.  de K4VUD
>>
>      The topic of static dissipaters has been a topic of some conjecture in
>the broadcast and communications industries for years. Do they work? It
>depends on who you talk to. Both sides of the argument are adamant concerning
>their effectiveness.
>
>     OTOH, Charlie is never afraid to break new ground.
>     Steve

        I think Steve is correct, lot of conjecture about the subject,
just one comment, for anyone who has traveled to China and looked around
at antenna's etc.  All you can see is the spikey devices sticking up.
The cities and villages are just covered with them, on skyscrapers they
are very large ball shaped spikes.  Do they work, dunno.  Have asked
about them and they claim yes they do work, why do you think they are
up there.  But then my Chinese is pretty poor also..
        73 Merv K9FD