[TowerTalk] RE: Coax Break-In, Aprils Fool, etc.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Coax Break-In, Aprils Fool, etc.
From: henrypol2@juno.com (henrypol2@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 22:12:58 EDT
I have enjoyed reading the postings related to this subject.  When I saw
the article in the April QST, I immediately recognized it as an April
Fool article, and enjoyed reading it for a few laughs.

However, being a former high-end audiophile, I feel obligated to inform
those on this reflector that several years ago there were several audio
manufacturers that purported that their products would only perform at
their best if properly broken-in.  Interestingly, these products not only
included active devices (amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, and speakers) but
also included passive devices (wire/cable and connectors).  In addition
to just passing an audio signal through them, the wires/cables had to
have the input signal enter at the appropriately-marked end.  (Imagine
how this would apply to a ham antenna installation: separate receiving
and transmitting coax with TR-switching relays at both ends!)

Thus that QST article, if printed in a high-end audiophile magazine, may
not have been considered an April Fool article!

Returning to a normal Towertalk subject; re my posting several weeks ago
about the miniature Rohn SSV-type towers in NE Ohio.  I did not receive
any responses that identified the towers.  Looks like I will be returning
to Ohio next week on business, so I plan to knock on a few doors if time
allows.

73,
Henry Pollock - WB4HFL
Raleigh, NC