[TowerTalk] Re: 25G Foldover

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: 25G Foldover
From: mashaum@fcg.net (Mark Shaum)
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 09:51:07 -0500
Bob, as long as you are only dealing with 20 feet of tower, I'd say
the Rohn 8 ft. foldover section would be a good starting point,
although awful expensive for the application.  Have you considered
just putting up a couple #25 sections on a hinged base plate?  You
could stick a big 4x4 or 6x6 "behind" the tower with a winch and
pulley to allow for no-effort tilting.  Maybe not really necessary
since 20 ft. of #25 is pretty easy to handle, figuring 40 lbs per
section plus antennas.  Unless you must have an elevated hinge
point, the hinged base plate might be the best bet..

73! - Mark

> We were at our 2m repeater site yesterday at a site of about
10,000'
> elevation near Big Sky MT.  Had to replace an antenna on a 25'
wooden pole.
>  The pole didnt look too sturdy nor safe so we hope to replace it
with a
> short foldover.  Even around 20' of tower is enough at that
elevation.  I do
> have a Rohn catalog and see the 25G foldovers listed.  Do you
think it would
> work if we bought a couple of sections of tower and the hinge
section, and
> then got our winch and homemade boom locally? Do you have any
idea if Rohn
> would sell a mini foldover such as we would need?  Before I saw
the catalog I
> regards.  Bob W7LR  W7LR@AOL.COM  Bozeman, MT

Mark Shaum  K9TR
mashaum@fcg.net