[TowerTalk] Re: 25G Foldover hinge factors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: 25G Foldover hinge factors
From: psoper@donedeal.encore.com (Pete Soper)
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 11:27:49 -0400
Mark Shaum writes:

> winch located near the base. So the hinge supports the rear boom,
> upper 30 ft or so of tower, and top load of antennas, rotor and
> mast.  With #25, the maximum weight Rohn recommends for the topside
> antenna load ranges from 100 to 150 lbs, depending on how many

130 pounds. The limit on the hinge is 3600 foot pounds of torque, so
the configurations with shorter "tops" allow more weight.

Question: When rebuilding a foldover I went with grade 5 bolts for the
hinge. I then got a hint that some (all?) factory hinge bolts are stainless
steel. Is that true? There's still time to swap them out (although the
logistics really curl my hair) and I'd like to have made the right choice
for this critical application. What kind of hinge bolts are in the Rohn
kit?

Regards,
Pete
KS4XG