[TowerTalk] KT34XA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT34XA
From: js@netusa.net (Jeff Singer)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 20:37:56 +0100
Joe Humet wrote:
Joe -

Many, many hams use this antenna, and for most, the swr is just fine.
Beautiful even. This antenna is pretty simple. I believe that you have
not set things up exactly according to KLM's manual, or have done some
mods to the original design which you may or may not even be aware of,
but which you have not mentioned.

For example, have you used any cleaning solution that you have not
mentioned, or have you painted any parts? Have your changed the feed
arrangement in ANY way? Have you grounded any elements? Is ANY water
(even just a drop) still inside the tubes from an agressive cleaning?
Any of these things will DRAMATICALLY change the swr on this particular
antenna.

Also, even though the blue end caps LOOK fine, they may NOT be. If you
have hammered them at all, they would be the most suspect items. And I
wonder HOW you checked your coax. Did you try substituting another coax
to see what would happen? Just 'checking' the coax for impedance &
shorts won't tell the story of a wet line when you put a little power to
it.

Is there a huge 40-mtr monster close by? Also - have you gotten a copy
of the "latest" prescribed measurements from KLM?

Look closely at these things. The kt34xa is NOT a very forgiving beast,
but when set to specs and constructed exactly as intended, it works
really fine, and the swr is very low everywhere. Good luck!

73 de Jeff K2KV
k2kv@netusa.net