[TowerTalk] KT34XA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT34XA
From: w5hvv@aeneas.net (Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 00:01:27 -0500
>Look closely at these things. The kt34xa is NOT a very forgiving beast,
>but when set to specs and constructed exactly as intended, it works
>really fine, and the swr is very low everywhere. Good luck!
>
>73 de Jeff K2KV
>k2kv@netusa.net

Jeff, I have virtually the same sort of SWR problem with a KT-34A.  I
have checked, double-checked, and rechecked.  I have a test balun on
the way because both Bruce Scott and I believe that it may be the problem.
To wit, the MFJ-259 indicates (by way of the SWR changing dramatically
when my hand gets close to the chassis of the MFJ-259) that the coax in
some way is radiating.

I've tried changing the coax and I've duplicated the SWR that the MFJ-259
indicates when I've hooked up the TS-940S to the antenna and checked it
for SWR with 5 watts feeding it..... same-same.  It is really baffling.
I'm hoping that the balun is the answer.  Then I'll be able to put it up
and use it for the upcoming contest weekend.

By the way, it was a used unit that I bought for $250 (it have been up for
3 months) and I found many dimensions wrong and even the spacing of the
elements was incorrect, however, I changed all dimensions and spacing to
that of the manual's specification and still rotten SWR.  I'm baffled.

Rod, W5HVV