[TowerTalk] TIC Ring intermittents

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TIC Ring intermittents
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 05:04:36 -0600 (MDT)
Have had a TIC Ring (1022) up for a few weeks and all worked fine
until today.  The meter went hard against the peg on the right
and then on the left a few times--intermittently.  The control
relay just chattered.

The wiring checks OK but the pot is mostly open at one end. (800K)
It is a 10-turn Clarostat JB73-500 ohm job available from DigiKey
for $12 so it is no problem to replace, but I don't understand the
failure mode and don't understand why it only lasted a couple of
weeks.  (NO lightning, and only intermittent use with no obvious
instances of running the pot into the stop.)  (And boy is it a pain to
get at the pot--gotta pull gears, etc.)

Any others have any experiences with this failure mode and have
any ideas on how to prevent it in the future?

(Fortunately I have another ring that has yet to be installed so I can
steal the motor/pot assembly for a quick fix, but my "confidence"
in the TIC has been badly shaken!)

THANKS

John  W0UN