[TowerTalk] INFORMATION ABOUT CABLES

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] INFORMATION ABOUT CABLES
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 07:55:10 -0400
HI, Sergio.

The Time cable I'm certain is 75 ohm CATV cable, 3/4 inch and 1/2 inch
respectively...and the J is probably Jacketed?

The Commscope is probably similar in characteristics...

The CATV hardlines work just fine, especially for HF through UHF.  You can
use them with or with matching transformers...it just depends whether your
particular situation needs them or not.  I'm feeding several 40 through 160
antennas with it directly and havent really felt the need to use
transformers.

There are several ways to terminate that cable, depending somewhat on what
band(s) you will use it on.  If you also have access to CATV PIN connectors
and a coring tool cheap, I recommend using those and you can then screw an
N connector onto the outside thread of the PIN connector, cutting the pin
to length and soldering the N connector pin or socket to the end of the pin
so the length comes out correctly when you screw the N body onto the PIN
connector body.

There are several other less elegant, but functional methods using UHF
barrels, copper pipe fittings, etc. that some others can elaborate on, I'm
sure.  For UHF and VHF, there is a US guy that makes 1/4 wave matching
stub/connectors that just clamp on the ends of the cable.  Those are pretty
slick as well.

73 es have fun!

Ty K3MM

pp5jr@pp5jr.ampr.org on 10/02/97 09:22:31 PM