[TowerTalk] anchor bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] anchor bolts
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 15:34:01 -0800
At 1:48 PM -0800 10/8/97, Michael McLaughlin wrote:
>Hi towertorians,
>I have  aquestion about anchor bolts here.I am outting up my first tower
>and I odered a base plate from US towers.Me being as dum as I am thought
>that the anchor bolts would come with the plate.Well today I fond out
>that I was wrong about that.So I call back to find out that the bolts
>run at $30:00 each.Thats alittle high for me when I,m already in the
>doghouse with the xly for buying the used tower and antenna and a few
>othe things coming to over $4000.
> OK I have a tx455 here and was wondering if I can use a B7 allthread at
>36 long welding a over size nut on the end.Will this be strong enouch?At
>$18 each it looks a whole lot better.Any suggestions?

The US Tower anchor bolts are one-inch diameter steel "J" bolts, with about
a 6-inch horizontal segment at the bottom.  Frankly, I can think of few
things more fundamental to the strength of a tower than its anchor bolts.
To try to save $12 per anchor in the face of the major investment you're
making would seem foolish economy.

If you're erecting the tower under a building permit, I doubt the permit
authority will allow you to substitute the bolts, anyway.  If you aren't
erecting it under a building permit, . . .  Well, that's a different
thread.  :)

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada (South of Reno)
http://www.qsl.net/w6old/