[TowerTalk] Re: HL: Heading off an antenna restriction?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: HL: Heading off an antenna restriction?
From: neader@QTH.com (Scott Neader KA9FOX)
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:58:33 -0700
At 12:47 PM -0500 10/12/97, Dan Gannon, WA5ANF wrote:

>He did NOT say he had a permit for the tower, only a permit for the
>BASE.

That is correct.  I was told repeately by the head of the Zoning/Inspection
department that I am not required to have a permit for an amateur radio
installation.  I quote, "Hams are a protected species by the Government".

They did ask that I voluntarily get a permit for the base, which I did.
They would not give me a permit for the tower, because none is needed.  Per
W9WU, I am going to contact them and ask for one again.  If they still
refuse, then I will ask for a letter stating that I don't need a permit to
install an 72 foot amateur radio antenna support structure at my residence.
Let's hope I get SOMETHING, as that will be very beneficial in the event an
ordinance is passed AFTER I get my tower up.

>In addition, I read him admitting that he has probably violated sound
>engineering and construction practices, and therefore possibly his
>permit, by erecting a poriton of the tower (and therefore structural
>loads) on the base (foundation) before the concrete has cured and
>reached design strength.

This is NOT TRUE!!  Per the tower company specs, I am directed to attach
the 3 stub legs (4 feet long) to the first section (8 feet long), and place
the combination (12 feet long) down 3.5 into the tower hole, and then pour
the concrete.  That leaves about 8.5 feet sticking up.

>Rushing to install the rest of the tower is not only flying in the face
>of sound engineering practices, but also asking for a structural failure
>and flirting with disaster.

The installation specs say I can install the tower in 7 days after pouring
concrete, and that is the plan.  Antennas will have to come later.

Thanks for the help!  Will keep you posted.

- Scott KA9FOX