[TowerTalk] The Zepp, The Ladder Line, The Experience

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] The Zepp, The Ladder Line, The Experience
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:40:22 -0500
At 08:42 AM 10/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Lee,
>
>Thanks for the report on the Zepp.
>
>What type of 4:1 balun are you using ?    Where did you get it ?    Will
>it take power ?
>
>thanks & 73  James / k1sd

RadioWorks sells a 4:1 balun that is the size of a cantelope.  It is called
a Remote Balun  Good for at least 2 kw.  I use it under the eve of the
house....run coax to it...and then attach the ladder line.  I have out 800
watts into it and it didn't have any trouble at all.  You still have to use
a tuner of course.

Tuning a Zepp is interesting.  Some of you have talked about using a
Matchbox tuner.  If I remember correctly, are those based on the Z-tuner
concept?  Well, the Matchbox works FB too.  My friend used on of those on
his and worked great!  I have a hombrew SPC Ultimate transmatch hooked to
the remote balun and it works fine.  Tuning is narrow as reported.

One of the cool things about this antenna is that if installed correctly,
one can load just one side of the antenna as a long wire on 80 and 160
meters.  In fact, with a little playing around with the numbers, you can add
enough ladder line to make a total of 130 feet from the feed point.
Radiates real well on 160 providing you have a good ground or ground system
connected to the tuner.

Just some more thoughts....

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net