[TowerTalk] 40 meter Add-on...Yea or Nay???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40 meter Add-on...Yea or Nay???
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:36:31 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-10-15 05:59:56 EDT, jleahy@norwich.net writes:

<< I currently have an AP8 vertical with a ground radial
 system underneath that works well on 40m. Would I really gain anything with
 this basically "rotatable" dipole up there? What about the snow loading on
 this elongated driven element, as it is windy with snow and ice up on this
 hill in the winter? Hmm, I think I just talked myself out of it. Any
 thoughts yea or nay on the subject?  >>

      In the past I haven't been too enthusiastic about the 40M add-ons. But
useers have convinced me otherwise. They DO work and are probably worthwhile
additions. If you're concerned about the additional element load, use a rope
truss on the element to give it some more strength.

    The 'secret' to successful operating (DXing, contesting, casual, etc.) is
having a choice of antennas. This will complement your vertical because at
any time, one of the antennas will perform better than the other. Go for it!

     Don't lose any sleep about antenna wx damage - that's why you've got
homeowners insurance.

73,  Steve  K7LXC