[TowerTalk] 40 meter Add-on...Yea or Nay???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40 meter Add-on...Yea or Nay???
From: jleahy@norwich.net (Jim Leahy)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 05:57:48 -0400
I need a quick consensus. The 40 foot tower and TA 33 will be going up this
weekend (hopefully). I have the KR 40 kit ready to install on the beam. My
question is "is it worth it?". I've gotten mixed reviews from the locals,
from "do it" because that RF has to go somewhere even if only at 40' ,...to
"don't do it" because it will screw up the tuning on the other
elements/bands. I currently have an AP8 vertical with a ground radial
system underneath that works well on 40m. Would I really gain anything with
this basically "rotatable" dipole up there? What about the snow loading on
this elongated driven element, as it is windy with snow and ice up on this
hill in the winter? Hmm, I think I just talked myself out of it. Any
thoughts yea or nay on the subject? Thanks a lot.
Jim Leahy  K2JL
jleahy@norwich.net