[TowerTalk] Leveling a tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Leveling a tower
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 02:59:36 -0700 (PDT)
>Can anyone tell me the best way (or different techniques) for ensuring
>that a tower is truely verticle.
>
>I have been putting a builders level up against the three legs of the
>tower starting at the base and working my way up.
>
>Does anyone have an easier way to do this?
>
>TNX in advance.
>
>de Bruce, K1BG

Here's an old trick I learned from some power company pole setters in LA in
the 1960s:  Take a piece of string about 6 feet long and tie a weight to the
bottom of it that weighs a few ounces.  Just something to keep the string
tense and hanging straight.  Hold this string out and up with your hand such
that it hangs vertically in front of you about 2 feet.  Back away from the
tower about half to 3/4 of its height and sight up and down along the string
and the tower at the same time.  They should be parallel.  Do this from each
guy anchor point.  You should be able to get your tower plumb within a
couple of inches at the top using this method.

The problem with a plumb bob down the center of the tower is that the wind
constantly blows it around.

You should also sight up each leg from the base of the tower to make sure
there is no "bowing" in the tower legs.  If it is off very far, it will be
obvious.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com