[TowerTalk] CATV Hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CATV Hardline
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 11:29:38
At 12:48 AM 10/24/97 +0100, Tyler Stewart wrote:
>I've never heard that and have seen no evidence to support it.   It's all
>good stuff and all is a copper clad aluminum center with an aluminum jacket.
>At HF there is almost no difference in loss...it's probably slightly higher
>due to the smaller center conductor of 75 ohm cable.  It's not worth
>worrying about.

For whatever it's worth, my run of approximately 250 feet of 3/4"  CATV
hardline measures (with an Autek RF-1) to have 1.6 dB of loss at 28 MHz -
not nearly so good as the Handbook table says it should be (about .36
dB/100 fit).  Of course, this includes 2 home-brew UHF connectors.  I've
checked for moisture infiltration, etc., but this is about what the
installation measured right off the reel.   I wonder if others have
compared measurements of their actual installation with the Handbook table
-- I'd sure like to recoup that elusive "'nother dB."

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"