[TowerTalk] CATV Hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CATV Hardline
From: wtill@bordercity.com (William Till)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:11:34 -0700
I'm no RF engineer, but I have over 40 years experience in ham radio and VHF
sales/service, and I suspect that your instrument is lying to you. The true
measure would be to put a wattmeter in the line at the radio, take a
reading, then move the wattmeter to the far end and read again. I think you
will be surprised and pleased. Don't trust the absolute reading of most
wattmeters either. The relative reading showing the difference will tell the
tale.

At HF frequencies, I don't think that there is anything measurable to gain
from fiddling with cable matching. I use a home brew method of connecting
hardline and I find no measurable difference from the manufacturers'
connectors that hit the pocketbook so hard.

Regarding the tower accident a few days ago, I understand that it either a
Canadian rigging company, or Canadian riggers, or both. Does anyone have any
more details?

73

Bill - VE5FN