[TowerTalk] HF beam against the wind.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF beam against the wind.
From: harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 19:14:20 -0500 (EST)
Here are some more personal observations on this topic.  A TowTech winch
failed me on my crank up tower--first use-- and the whole thing dropped
from full up at 70 ft down onto the lower stops.    The Cushcraft 2 el
forty bent the elements downward and then upward at the snallest end tubes
and BROKE only at the point where the boom met the mast (boom and sleeve
inside bent nearly to broken).  That was the weak point for downward
pressure, anyway--even with the boom braces underside not above.
The TH-7 beam 's   boom survived ok but the elements had THREE bends over
their lengths.
The initial blow was the first  bend, and the recoil bent theother two.
Too bad I could not havesuch a bad time with the test results giving
horiz. pressure tests instead of downward .  de K4VUD