[TowerTalk] rivets, rivets

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rivets, rivets
From: js@reallybig.com (Jeff Singer)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 10:46:15 -0500
This is a silly discussion. To all those comparing how long it takes, and
how much extra work it is, let me say this:

I don't own a Force 12 Antenna because I'm stuck on KLM. Before any antenna
goes up in the air, we drill out every joint and rivet them, a la Force 12!
This is in addition to all the hose clamps, compression straps (and the KLMs
have many), etc.  Why go through "all that trouble?"

My feeling is that it is MUCH more work to first pull the antennas down
after they are up. The rivets provide two distinct benefits. Firstly, they
strengthen all the joints (I have never had a KLM "vibrate apart," not even
my 4L 40, as so many folks are wont to claim), and secondly, when I must
take one apart for some reason, I NEVER have to worry about replicating the
exact dimensions again. The rivet holes do that for me.

The small amount of additional preparation while on the ground saves us
many, many more times the work if it doesn't hold up while on the tower.

Thanks to Force 12 for the fine idea!

73 de Jeff K2KV
k2kv@reallybig.com