[TowerTalk] TOWER FOOTING -Reply

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TOWER FOOTING -Reply
From: peacemkr@wcc.net (Sam Morgan)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:26:08 -0600
Hello folks,
        A couple of thoughts on the bolts and getting them set where u want
them.
        1. When pouring slabs with anchor bolts fer steel buildings .. we cut
a plywood square .. drill the bolt pattern .. and secure the plywood
plate to the outer form for the pour. Suspending the plywood plate an
inch or so above the desired ..finished  level. Thus allowing for ur
trowel to get in there and make it all pretty.
        2.Install the j-bolts in the plywood ( complete with nuts) prior to
the pour.
        3. Immediatly after the pour eyeball and adjust the bolts fer plumb.
        4. Leave the plywood and forms in place til all is cured.
        5. Note: It's cheaper to buy longer bolts and then the stubs may be
plumbed up the last bit <prior to base instillation> by placing a
cheater pipe over the stubs and adjusting to suit.
        6. Having the nuts on all this time allows for a cleaning of the
threads as u remove the nust & plywood when ready to install the base ..

        Hope this helps and was inteligible enuff fer u to get the picture..

        73's & GB
              de

At 02:49 PM 11/18/97 -0800, you wrote:
>At 1:38 PM -0800 11/18/97, Patrick Barkey wrote:
>>I did precisely this for my self supporting tower base.  The problem
is,
>>the act of pouring the concrete twisted and turned my anchor bolts in
>>ways that I could not perfectly correct.  Now that the concrete has
>>cured, the bolts are slightly off.  Big pain.
>
>I hear you.  I had a similar problem with my US Tower base.  We used the
>T-base as a template for the bolts, but they still moved.  Imagine our
>surprise when we removed the T-base to finish the concrete, only to
find we
>then couldn't get the T-base back on the bolts we had just removed it
from!!

>>If I had it to do over again, I would pour first and then set the
entire wood
>>template/anchor bolt assembly down into the wet concrete.
>
>I am not sure that would work very well with the big J-bolts,
especially if
>you used high-strength (i.e., fast hardening) concrete.  I think what I
>would do next time would be to fasten the bolts to the T-base (not just
>allow gravity to keep them vertical) and then get a concrete vibrator to
>get rid of any air pockets and, at the same time, allow the bolts to
settle
>into their desired locations.
>
>It is truly amazing how much stuff you learn the very first time you do
>something like this.  :)
>
>73, Dick (who reserves the right to make every non-fatal mistake at
least
>once!)
>
>--
>Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada (South of Reno)
>Visit http://www.qsl.net/w7di/
>

>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

        Sam Morgan