No subject

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: No subject
From: chapoton@SMTP-gw.gdls.com (Henry G Chapoton)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 10:39:11 -0500

     You wrote:

     > Things calmed down by mid-week, but then WWV was reporting
     > a major flare on Thursday and Friday, meaning 80/160 would
     > be dead by Saturday night.

     So, is this why I had a difficult time working Europe on 80?  It was
     like
     a one-way mirror in the Atlantic...I would answer loud European CQ's,
     and
     they would CQ in my face.

     40 was great!  Why does this happen on 80 only?

     - -Larry, K4AB

     What is your antenna?

     Transmit and receive are not always reciprocal.  Often a lower angle
     will tx better while a higher angle will rx better.  I have
     experienced this occasionally on 10 & 15 as well as 80.  Can you
     switch between different antennas?  Can you switch polarization?  Some
     nights are "vertical", some are horizontal, especially on the low
     bands although this could be related to the radiation angle of the
     particular antenna.  Another reason for "more antennas are better
     antennas".

     Also, don't forget:  there is a LOT of "local" qrm over there that we
     don't even hear and you could have gotten lost in it.

     Greg
     na8v/4
     Tallahassee, FL